Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The food scene in San Jose


Now this is a topic I do enjoy!

I was a picky eater as a kid. Boy, how that has changed. I do try everything and rarely is my response less than enthusiastic, but honestly, I do not ask questions beforehand. I know I can be squeamish and raw jelly fish would just not appeal. So, try and then buy (in).

If you are looking for "south of the boarder" hot, it's not here. You will find red hot Panamenian sauce available, but add your own. Flavorful food, yes. Magnificient salads. A superb selction of ceviche, especially delicious sea bass, and beef that is at least as good as the average in Europe. When was the last time you ate chicken that had a natural taste? You may not recognize many of the vegetables, not because you haven't ever eaten them, but because of their rich flavor.

I can't go without mentioning a national favorite, Gallo Pinto. A few Central American nations feature this dish, but the Ticos claim it as their own. What is it? That depends on where you are eating; every household has their favorite receipe. Basically it is rice and black beans and it is enjoyed mainly at breakfast. It is good, but it is certainly not on my list of memorables.

For the junk food junkies. No worries. It's here. I haven't partaken so I withhold comments. From the Gold Arches to Kentucky Fried, from Denny's to Friday's. I haven't seen Domino's but I have had a few pizzas as lunch or snack and they have been great.

Aproveche!

No comments:

Post a Comment