Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting ready to go...

I am going to Costa Rica on a scholarship to do graduate studies in Spanish, which I teach in a suburban Houston high school. I am a member of the AATSP, which sponsors the National Spanish Examination that I have administered to my students for several years. I won my scholarship through the generosity of the National Spanish Exam Board and MLSA, a company that organizes study abroad programs. Muchas gracias!

My students success in the test has been an inspiration to them and their families and actually heightened school-wide interest in doing well in Spanish and subsequently being acknowledged for their success at the year end awards ceremony.

My teaching assignment this August will be at a very large, new high school in the same district. The administrators interviewing me knew of the success and interest the National Spanish Exam had generated where I was teaching and they asked that I be responsible for organizing their school to participate. Yes, it is sooo nice when you do not have to provide all the motivation in the classroom and among administrators!

I'm in the throes of trying to get loose ends together for 6-weeks out of the country, amid my excitement and anticipation. Once in Costa Rica, I'll post to let you know my day-to-day experiences and observations, both educational and personal.

Hasta entonces!

1 comment: